If you’re looking for that just right, top of the line, side-by-side refrigerator and freezer combo to finish off your new dream kitchen, then you have to take a look at the Sub-Zero BI-42S Side-By-Side Refrigerator/Freezer. In this review we outline some of the features, pricing, and warranty info of the BI-42S.
Sub-Zero BI-42S Side-by-Side Refrigerator/Freezer Features
With 16 cubic feet of refrigerator capacity and 8 cubic feet of freezer capacity, the Sub-Zero BI-42S stands at 84 inches tall, 42 inches wide, and 24 inches deep. It weighs in at 582 pounds. Here are some of it other features:
- Dual refrigeration system to ensure freshness.
- An air purification system that tackles everything from odors and bacteria to viruses and ethylene gas.
- Water filtration.
- An illuminated control panel.
- Brilliant, balanced interior lighting, including in the storage drawers.
- Dairy compartment, door shelves, and spill-proof glass shelves that are easy to adjust.
- The crisper and deli drawers are soft-close, and they form an independent low-temperature zone.
- The flip-up grille is easy access.
- Freshness cards let you know the status of your foods.
- The classic stainless steel model has an estimated energy usage of 650 kWh, or about $69 per year
- The overlay model has an estimated energy usage of 520 kWh, or about $55 per year.
- UL approved in both the US and Canada.
- Star-K Kosher certified for Sabbath and holiday use.
The BI-42SD will give you all the above as well as a convenient ice and water dispenser. For something a little smaller check out the BI-36S for a side-by-side model that only spans 36 inches wide. If bigger is more your style, go for the BI-48S for a full 48 inches wide (also available with a convenient water and ice dispenser). Look to the 36 inch models for over-under, all fridge or freezer designs, and glass door refrigerator options. Also, BI stands for Built In, so if you’re looking for an Integrated design, try the Sub-Zero 700 club.
Sub-Zero has a convenient store locator on its website. Just plug in your zip code, and they will provide you with your nearest dealer. Overall, this may be your best option because it gives you the chance to go in and get your hands on the unit. You may also be able to arrange for delivery and installation through your local Subzero dealer. But whether you go brick and mortar, or shop online, expect to pay between $7,000 and $10,000 for the Sub-Zero BI-42S/D side-by-side refrigerator/freezer.
Genuine replacement parts are available for this model in the form of the Sub-Zero Air Purification Cartridge, and their branded water filter.
Sub-Zero Warranty Information
Sub-Zero offers these three warranty coverages for the BI-42S: the Limited Twelve Year Sealed System Warranty, the Full Five Year Sealed System Warranty, and the Full One Year Warranty. Warranties start in the date of original installation.
The Sealed System Warranties only cover components deemed defective due to materials or workmanship in the sealed system. The Sealed System is described as the compressor, condenser, evaporator, drier, and all connecting tubing.
The One Year Warranty, however, will cover all parts and labor needed to repair or replace any defective components. You will want to read the entirety of the warranty information on their site in order to understand all the exclusions and conditions.
Offering 42 inches of stylish and powerful side-by-side refrigeration, the Sub-Zero BI-42S is hard to pass up. If the features meet your needs, and the price is within your budget, then a trip down to your local dealer may be in order.